Convincing the Naysayers that Graphic Novels are Valid Reading Material
This is going to be a short post as I just wanted to give you a link to this fantastic article called "Convincing the Naysayers" by Robin Moeller. It was featured in the January / February 2013 edition of Knowledge Quest (property of the American Library Association).
This article includes such useful topics as:
1. Making an Argument for Graphic Novels
2. Intellectual Freedom and Graphic Novels
3. What Research Tells Us about Graphic Novels and Education
4. Graphic Novels and the Common Core Standards
5. Online Professional Resources for School Librarians and Teachers
This is the perfect article if you are trying to convince others that graphic novels should be included in both school libraries and classrooms. They are not only a valid form of reading but an extremely helpful one where struggling readers (ELL, students with special needs, etc.) are concerned.
Here's the link: Convincing the Naysayers. Enjoy the article!